Whether you have healthy gums or are in a state of active periodontal disease, routine home maintenance, although very effective, only focuses on areas of the tooth that are above the gum line.
That is why at Main Street Dental we recommend visits twice yearly for maintenance/preventative care, unless your oral health status dictates you require more frequent visits.
Depending on your preventative treatment schedule, some visits may include:
- taking x-rays to check bone levels (a good indicator of chronic gum and bone disease)
- measuring the depth of periodontal pockets
- checking for loose teeth or bleeding gums
- removing plaque or tartar above and below the gum line
- reviewing your home care techniques and their resulting effectiveness
- oral cancer screening and checking the tissues of the head and neck
We use an ultrasonic scaler
An ultrasonic scaler consists of a wand with a small scaling tip that produces soft ultrasonic vibrations and a gentle flow of water. As the tip moves along the tooth surface, it creates small pulses that break up plaque, tartar and other debris.
The benefits of ultrasonic scaling
Ultrasonic scaling has proven to be very effective in removing large debris below the gum line in a very quick and efficient manner. Because of this, appointment times are shortened and patient comfort is improved. However, to ensure complete care, hand scaling is still always completed afterwards.